[Samba] block streaming from samba server

Adam Tauno WIlliams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Aug 16 09:04:03 MDT 2009

> I noticed that If I have media files in my samba share and a user
> double clicks on the share the media starts to stream from my linux
> box to the windows box.
> This hampers my B/W and I would prefer users to rather download the
> file then play it, I read a lot on the net regarding this but was
> unable to find a appropriate solution

How does it make a B/W difference if they 'stream' it from your server
or 'download' it from your server?

> Can someone please suggest what can I do so that when the user clicks
> on the media file he is forced to download it and does not get to
> stream the file off my linux box

Veto multimedia files so user's can't see multimedia files via Samba.

Otherwise I don't believe Samba knows any difference between a
they-opened-the-file-to-stream vs. they-opened-the-file-to-copy [I don't
believe there even is a difference].