[Samba] cant browse user home directories

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Aug 12 16:01:50 MDT 2009

Roger D Vargas wrote:
> Adam Williams escribió:
>

> What i want is to use default system users (/etc/passwd) for
> authentication. The problem is that i already have 2 domains, with users
> forced to have accounts in both, the mail password and the proxy
> password. Security policies requires changing all those passwords and I
> dont want to deal with a fourth password for samba. I know it is quite
> old idea, I implemented it almost 10 years ago, but people is used to
> access their home folders using their "mail" password and i would like
> to keep it that way.
> Also my resources are so scarce that I have a single server, so I cant
> research an ldap migration  withouth breaking stuff in the server that
> handles mail ,proxy, samba and firewall.

why not?  i upgraded a live system from /etc/passwd to ldap and didn't
break anything.  you can use the migration scripts provided with
openldap to load the users into ldap, and use pdbedit to import the
tdbsam/smbpasswd users to openldap, then configure and enable nss_ldap
so that now pam is authenticating users in ldap, delete the users from
/etc/passwd, then config samba to use ldap and restart it.  you can
install microsoft virtual pc 2007 sp1 for free on a windows computer,
and install linux in it and do all the testing you need.