[Samba] cifs problems

Mike Gallamore mike at mpi-cbg.de
Thu Oct 9 15:09:58 GMT 2008

For the symbolic link problem you might want to take a look at the
follow symlinks option for your smb.conf file, we have ours set to:
follow symlinks = yes

and going though symlinks works the same for us as on a local machine.

The other problem may be solved (from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=207278)
   if you set:
unix extensions = no

in the smb.conf.

Both settings should be added/modified in the [global] part of the
file. What happens is you mount the filesystem somewhere and when the
system tries to follow the symlink it is looking for that path on the
local machine not on the server. So alternatively you could mount all
the targets of the symlink to the same structure as they appear on the
server but that is a large pain for any but the most trivial
situations. Hope this helps.