[Samba] cifs problems

George He georgehe2007 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 14:44:26 GMT 2008

Hi,

Here are my settings:
I have a samba server running samba 3.0.24 on redhat EL4 (kernel
2.6.9-5.ELsmp)
and a samba client running samba 3.2.3-0.20.fc9 on fc9 (kernel
2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64).
A share on server is mounted on client using
sudo mount //server/data /mnt/data -o
user=me,workgroup=group,rw,file_mode=0600,dir_mode=0700

The problems are (in the directory /mnt/data),
if I use "touch xxx", I get error message "touch: setting times of `xxx': No
such file or directory", but the file xxx is created.
-rwxrw---- 1 jhe domain users        0 2008-10-09 10:31 xxx
if I use "ln -s test.txt yyy", I get error message "ln: creating symbolic
link `yyy': No such file or directory" and the file (link) yyy is not
created.
but "echo asd > zzz" creates the file zzz will no problem
-rwxrw---- 1 jhe domain users        4 2008-10-09 10:37 zzz

My questions:
How do I fix the problems I have with touch and ln -s?
If I can't fix the problems with the current version samba (a bug?), how do
I roll back to old version samba? I remember before the recent "yum update"
on client, everything worked fine.

Thanks,
George