[Samba] Recycle module... Stable?

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Thu Mar 20 05:39:31 GMT 2008

Tim Bates wrote:
> Hi.
>
> How stable and tested is the Recycle module? In particular, the
> version that's supplied with Debian Etch.
I don't know about debian but samba 3.0.28's version (and 3.0.24 before
that) have served me well. I have had a couple of issues with Office
documents where multiple revisions have been saved but I've never had a
problem with a file that has actually been deleted hasn't been stored
(at least, not that I have noticed).

> The reason I ask is that some files have gone from one of our servers
> (so says a user, anyway). They were supposedly in a share that uses
> the recycle module, but there's no copy in the recycle directory or
> the place they thought they were.
Could the files have been moved rather than deleted? I find alot more
users accidentally dragging when double clicking than I do accidentally
deleting things.

> Of course it's more likely user error than anything else... But I'm
> curious still.
>
> TB

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>