[Samba] msdfs root -- client error "refers to a location thatisunavailable"

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Mar 17 22:49:22 GMT 2008

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, TEXIER David wrote:

> If a take the same XP client connected via a ssh connection ( i use the
> port forwarding option for the samba port 139) then i can't access the
> dfs root (though i can reach the shares with no problem) and on the
> Windows explorer, the dfs links are no more recognised as dfs folders and
> i can't connect .
[...]
> Your problem and mine is something around there.

There seems to be some undefined set of circumstances which a Windows
client requires to be aligned before considering a server a DFS root :(...

At this point I guess I'm going to have to let the Windows guys serve up
the DFS root, as I've had no luck getting the samba server working.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768