[Samba] Vista over VPN loses connection with workgroup

Rubin Bennett rbennett at thatitguy.com
Fri Nov 30 22:39:49 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 14:34 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Rubin Bennett wrote:
> > I'd hazard that the issues are related, and that there are tweaks you
> > can do to the VPN that will make this more stable.  Short of sending you
> > to the OpenVPN lists, I'll share a couple tweaks I've found useful in
> > the exact same situation:
> > On the VPN server, add the lines:
> > # Insert your WINS server IP here
> > push "dhcp-option WINS 12.34.56.78"
> > # Insert your DNS server IP here
> > push "dhcp-option DNS 12.34.56.78"
> > # Insert your second (if you have one) DNS server IP here
> > push "dhcp-option DNS 12.34.56.79"
> > # Replace with your search domain
> > push "dhcp-option DOMAIN domain.tld"
>
> Yes, actually I already did that. That's how the laptop learns where's
> the WINS server. DOMAIN, DNS and WINS are being pushed to the Windows
> client already.
>
> The WINS server pushed to the laptop is actually the tun0 interface,
> created on the server by openvpnd. But that should not be a problem, I
> see in the logs how Samba actually becomes master on that interface, so
> it should work - and it does, for a while, and then the workgroup
> disappears.

Can you browse by IP address over the re-established VPN?  Have you
tried the old ipconfig /flushdns trick either before or after
reconnecting the VPN?

--
Rubin Bennett
rbTechnologies
rbennett at thatitguy.com
http://thatitguy.com
(802)223-4448

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
        -Ben Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759