[Samba] Vista over VPN loses connection with workgroup

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Nov 30 22:34:33 GMT 2007

Rubin Bennett wrote:
> I'd hazard that the issues are related, and that there are tweaks you
> can do to the VPN that will make this more stable.  Short of sending you
> to the OpenVPN lists, I'll share a couple tweaks I've found useful in
> the exact same situation:
> On the VPN server, add the lines:
> # Insert your WINS server IP here
> push "dhcp-option WINS 12.34.56.78"
> # Insert your DNS server IP here
> push "dhcp-option DNS 12.34.56.78"
> # Insert your second (if you have one) DNS server IP here
> push "dhcp-option DNS 12.34.56.79"
> # Replace with your search domain
> push "dhcp-option DOMAIN domain.tld"

Yes, actually I already did that. That's how the laptop learns where's
the WINS server. DOMAIN, DNS and WINS are being pushed to the Windows
client already.

The WINS server pushed to the laptop is actually the tun0 interface,
created on the server by openvpnd. But that should not be a problem, I
see in the logs how Samba actually becomes master on that interface, so
it should work - and it does, for a while, and then the workgroup
disappears.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/