[Samba] Problem with [homes] under 3.0.23x

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Mon Feb 5 13:52:15 GMT 2007

On 02/04/2007 02:14 PM, Matthias Schuendehuette wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found another strange problem while migrating from 3.0.22 to 3.0.23x
> (with 'x' eq 'd' now):
>
> I can't access my [homes]-share anymore - if i try, the samba-server
> prompts me for a password. What *is* working is accessing the same
> directory as [<username>]...
>
> E.g.: \\Sambaserver\matthias works  whereas
>      \\Sambaserver\homes    works *not*
>
> Unfortunaely it is essential for some of our processes to access the
> specific homedir of each user with the same sharename. It did work again
> after downgrade to 3.0.22. This implies that I didn't change anything on
> the samba configuration. The server is a member of an W2k3-AD-Domain. OS
> is FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.2
>
> If I look at the log-files, everything looks fairly good, the
> homes-Service is mapped to the right directory, the (Win-) Username is
> mapped to the right unix account - no obvious problems in this area.
>
> The only problem I found in the logfiles is a failure to decrypt
> incoming ticket (I think, this is why the password request pops up) when
> I try to access the homes-share. As said before, no problems when
> accessing all the other shares (there are lots!). What is different when
> accessing the homes-share?
>
> I tried MIT-Kerberos as well as Heimdal 0.64 (IIRC, FreeBSD base), no
> difference. This makes kind of sense to me, because *if* it's a
> kerberos-problem it should be there with 3.0.22 as well, isn't it?

	[homes] is a special share, AFAIK (and AIUI) it will share
the home of the user, not all the homes. If you can use another name,
just create a new share called [home] or [homedirs] and it probably
will do the tricky.

> The most strange thing at the end: On my workstation (FreeBSD 6.2 as
> well) it works. Same config (I checked *every line, /etc/krb5 *and*
> /usr/local/etc/smb.conf), same kerberos, also samba 3.0.23d - I have no
> idea what's going right here and wrong on the other machines. Perhaps a
> different encryption of the tickets? But how can I influence this? The
> ticket I get after 'kinit' is arcfour-encrypted - on the (not working)
> server as well as on the (working) workstation.

	Are you sure that you have the same environment user? It
seems that something is a little bit different with regards to
the users available and also on the share configuration (sometimes
it is more than the smb.conf).

> Any suggestions and further questions are welcome...

	Maybe posting your smb.conf and relevant logs would help
to identifiy where's the problem.

> Matthew

	Kind regards,

- --