[Samba] Problem with [homes] under 3.0.23x

Matthias Schuendehuette msch at snafu.de
Sun Feb 4 16:14:49 GMT 2007

Hello,

I found another strange problem while migrating from 3.0.22 to 3.0.23x
(with 'x' eq 'd' now):

I can't access my [homes]-share anymore - if i try, the samba-server
prompts me for a password. What *is* working is accessing the same
directory as [<username>]...

E.g.: \\Sambaserver\matthias works  whereas
      \\Sambaserver\homes    works *not*

Unfortunaely it is essential for some of our processes to access the
specific homedir of each user with the same sharename. It did work
again after downgrade to 3.0.22. This implies that I didn't change
anything on the samba configuration. The server is a member of an
W2k3-AD-Domain. OS is FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.2

If I look at the log-files, everything looks fairly good, the
homes-Service is mapped to the right directory, the (Win-) Username is
mapped to the right unix account - no obvious problems in this area.

The only problem I found in the logfiles is a failure to decrypt
incoming ticket (I think, this is why the password request pops up)
when I try to access the homes-share. As said before, no problems when
accessing all the other shares (there are lots!). What is different
when accessing the homes-share?

I tried MIT-Kerberos as well as Heimdal 0.64 (IIRC, FreeBSD base), no
difference. This makes kind of sense to me, because *if* it's a
kerberos-problem it should be there with 3.0.22 as well, isn't it?

The most strange thing at the end: On my workstation (FreeBSD 6.2 as
well) it works. Same config (I checked *every line, /etc/krb5 *and*
/usr/local/etc/smb.conf), same kerberos, also samba 3.0.23d - I have no
idea what's going right here and wrong on the other machines. Perhaps a
different encryption of the tickets? But how can I influence this? The
ticket I get after 'kinit' is arcfour-encrypted - on the (not working)
server as well as on the (working) workstation.

Any suggestions and further questions are welcome...

Matthew

--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette <msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)
PGP-Key at <pgp.mit.edu> and <wwwkeys.de.pgp.net> ID: 0xDDFB0A5F