[Samba] Windows XP refresh Problem

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 14:12:51 GMT 2006

On 11/30/06, Aaron Kincer <kincera at gmail.com> wrote:

> In theory, the server should notify the client that a change has
> occurred on the folder being viewed and then the client refreshes as
> opposed to a constant refresh going on. If you look in the smb.conf
> documentation, the change notify setting defaults to every 60 seconds.
> You could move it out further to lower the impact on the server. You can
> also shut if off altogether by setting it to zero.

Thanks, I'll look into that but since it really has not been a problem its
not a big priority.

BTW, if there is really a bug in samba that is not easily fixed I could
easily in 60 minutes
or less write a client program (nt service) that sends the F5 key to any
open explorer windows
every X seconds. I know this is not the optimal solution as it will
definitely waste system
resources but it would work.

John