[Samba] Is it possible to build smb directly over ethernet?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jan 14 20:34:07 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 13:59 -0500, andy liebman wrote:

> I also see that there once WAS a Samba patch to support NetBEUI. In
> fact, Jeremy, you seemed pleased about it and suggested it would be
> included in Samba 3 as a configuration option "--with-netbeui".
>
> > http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2000-July/008748.html

My understanding (I recently asked about where this had gone) is that
the biggest weakness is in the Linux kernel stack, which just wasn't up
to scratch.

Furthermore, the patch to samba really wasn't pleasant.

> Would NetBEUI be a faster "local LAN" alternative if it could be
> ressurected again.

NetBEUI is is dead, and I don't see it being revived any time soon...

> Is there any other alternative on the horizon that could get transfer
> rates closer to line speeds when dropped or misordered packets are a
> very unlikely issue -- like on an isolated LAN connecting just a few
> machines over 10 Gigabit Ethernet??

I think improvements to the TCP stack will assist in this, but given
that CIFS breaks packets up into fairly tiny pieces, and most clients
operate in a strict request/reply mode, it will never be spectacularly
fast.

Andrew Bartlett