[Samba] Problem after upgrade from 3.0.14a to 3.0.21a

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Jan 12 17:24:30 GMT 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Remy Zandwijk wrote:
>
>> I found out that I need to use 'fake' 'idmap uid' and 'idmap
>> gid' to get it to work. Is that a winbind bug? In
>
> Should be fine without either an idmap uid/gid range.  Are
> you saying that winbindd will not start without these?
>
>> contrast to the documentation, 'nscd' must be running, otherwise I
>> am not able to logon to the member server.
>
> That makes no sense to me.

One possible reason is that with nscd running, processes that want to do
passwd and group lookups will talk to nscd through a door file, rather
than loading nss_ldap and/or nss_winbind into their process space.  If for
some reason you have multiple versions of the same library on your system
(libldap.so, for example), then you will have a world of pain if a single
process inadvertently ends up with both versions loaded.  This can happen
pretty easily if nss_ldap is compiled against one version of libldap (say,
as a part of your system's packages) and samba is compiled against a
different version.

 	Andy