[Samba] Problem after upgrade from 3.0.14a to 3.0.21a

Remy Zandwijk remy.zandwijk at falw.vu.nl
Thu Jan 12 16:10:14 GMT 2006

>>I found out that I need to use 'fake' 'idmap uid' and 'idmap
>>gid' to get it to work. Is that a winbind bug? In
>
> Should be fine without either an idmap uid/gid range.  Are
> you saying that winbindd will not start without these?

Winbind does start, but when going to 'properties -> Security', 'add' and
'apply', the added user isn't added. When using a fake idmap uid/gid in the
smb.conf file, the added user is actually added.

When I use the fake idmap uid/gid 'wbinfo -n', 'wbinfo -s' and 'wbinfo -U'
work OK. When not using the fake idmap, 'wbinfo -U' fails with 'Could not
convert uid <uidnumber> to sid'.

>>contrast to the documentation, 'nscd' must be running, otherwise I
>>am not able to logon to the member server.
>
> That makes no sense to me.

To me neither. I got an other DMS up and running, and there is no problem
regarding nscd, wether it's running or not.

-Remy

BTW: I downgraded to 3.0.20b due to the alignment bug in 3.0.21a/Solaris.