[Samba] How do I apply active directory group policies to samba shares

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Tue Apr 11 23:13:43 GMT 2006

Jeremy,

Thanks.  Getting that setup now brings me to the point of needing to
further ask a question.  I am now able to set very specific permission
on a folder, but at this point, I am only mapping to local groups.  That
is, I can set permissions:

BERKELEY\its staff  <-- berkeley being the netbios of the local samba server

But I can't do:

CATNET\its staff   <-- CATNET being the group in Active Directory

Once I click apply in the properties dialogue box, the entry goes away.
The whole idea here (if it's possible) is to avoid managing group
memberships locally since that literally replicates Active Directory.

Is there a solution to this in the current release of Samba?

Thanks,
Rob