[Samba] Horrendously slow transfer speeds in FC3 is driving me crazy!!! Please help...

Peter Szmrecsanyi peter at totallinux.com.br
Fri May 13 14:24:25 GMT 2005

I have a 3Com 10/100 switch, it's not too expensive but I wouldn't
classify it as cheap... But that has never been the problem as I can
acheive good rates between Windows machines (I have XP on a laptop and
2000 on a desktop). My probem is specifically SAMBA 3 running on FC3 on
a ProLaint 2500... Next time I'm at home (probably this weekend) I'll
try setting up a server on the laptop (P4 3.4G w/ HT, 1 GB of RAM, 1
Gbps BroadCom NIC - hardware is flawless) which has FC3 dual boot. But I
have a feeling that the results wont be that different, if they are I'll
settle for a new DMA capable NIC on the ProLiant... But since I've
compiled Samba 2.2.12 I may as well try it and see if I can get better
performance. In anycase I'll let you know.

Peter.