[Samba] Horrendously slow transfer speeds in FC3 is driving me crazy!!! Please help...

AragonX aragonx at dcsnow.com
Fri May 13 12:03:23 GMT 2005

<quote who="pb">

> When trying to improve upon the 7 Mbyte/sec I found that nothing helped
> at all. Compiling with different flags (O3, etc), made no difference
> (cpu load very low anyway) Kernel made no difference (I used Slakware's
> v.8, v.9 and currently use v.10) With or without Hyperthreading on the
> P4 enabled (via custom kernels) made no difference.Different 100TX patch
> cables made no difference.
> It was the crap switch in my case.

Following the advice from you and others, I tried a new switch.  The time
to open the application went down from 3 minutes to about 1.5 minutes.
This is a great improvement but I fear it treated the symptom and not the
problem.  A minute and a half to open an application is still far too
long.  The amount of data going over the network is huge.  The network
light flashes constant for the entire 1.5 minutes.  Next I'll try a
network sniffer and see what is being transmitted.