[Samba] second time post please help samba =ads

ankush grover ankushmailing at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 04:20:55 GMT 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:20:04 -0500, MJBarber at hearst.com
<MJBarber at hearst.com> wrote:

> I made comments below....
>
> Michael J Barber
>  Computer Services Administrator
>  WPTZ/WNNE
>  Heart-Argyle Television
>  p  518-561-5555 x563
>  m 518-572-6639
>  f   518-561-5940
>

>  ankush grover <ankushmailing at gmail.com>
> Sent by: samba-bounces+mjbarber=hearst.com at lists.samba.org
>
> 03/09/2005 12:37 PM
> Please respond to ankush grover
>         To:        samba at lists.samba.org
>         cc:
>         Subject:        [Samba] second time post please help samba =ads
>

> hey friends,
>
>  I have 2 problems in samba I am narrating my problems below:
>
>  a)  I have configured samba with security =ads in FC3 workstation and
>  my domain controller is windows 2003  ,the samba is working fine with
>  the configured options.As my domain consists of windows ,linux and
>  unix clients  and few of the users uses windows as well as Linux or
>  Unix each user having its different machines.
>
>  Now i want the users which uses both Linux/Unix and windows should be
>  able to see their home directories and other folders through
>  windows.Just like a normal  configured samba as File server and users
>  frm the network neighbourhood can see their home directories and other
>  folders.
>
>  Is it possible if the security = ads is setup and if then a user wants
>  to see his/her home directories and other folders from the windows.I
>  have created a directory for my domain in home folder and if any users
>  who is first time logging its directory is created under
>  /home/mydomain/user.
>
>  ===============================================
> This is a special setup...This is a relatively undocumented feature to have
> samba create the directories if they do not exist and it is NOT the default
> setup..  It is safest to create the directory and then chown it to
> 'DOMAIN\user'

Thanks for the reply, but the directories under the DOMAIN/user are
getting created.Means any user who first time logs into that
workstation the samba creates tbe directory for that
user.(domain/user).

Actually my question is ,I have a samba server running which the ppl
in my company uses are File server means all the data resides on that
server.The windows ppl from the network neighbourhood can see their
home directories and they put their data into that folder and other
folders on which they access..

For ppl who are using Linux workstations using winbind for
authentication ,I want that they can use their workstations home
directories through windows network neighbourhood just like they are
able to access their directories of the samba server.

One solution for this is NFS,i should mount the directories of the
samba server on the workstations so that the users on workstation put
their data in those mounted/shared directories and ofcourse from
windows they can view their directories in this case they can have
data both from the linux workstation as well as from the samba server.

But I was looking for a solution where window users can see/access
their Linux workstations directories through network neighbourhood.I
think with security =ads or linux as workstation does not provide the
facility for accessing the directories from windows network
neighbourhood.

> If it is possible then please let me know.
>
>  b)  I have setup the linux box (FC3) with samba with security = domain and
>  password server = s1.sun.com(internal).The domain controller is
>  Windows 2003 and my system is FC3 server.
>
>  I have created one folder in which i have created some
>  directories.There are different types of users in  my company some in
>  development, some in administration , som e in top management.I have
>  created some folders in which users can put their data to share among
>  their colleagues or team.
>
>  What happens is that when somebody clicks on samba server all the
>  folders which i have explicitly mentioned in the smb.conf are shown
>  .Whereas what i want is that only those folders should come when the
>  user access the samba server on which he has the right to access it.

>  A simpler strategy maybe:
>     For each share define the users who have access
>     browseable = no (this makes it a hidden share)
>     Map drive for users who have access
Well this can be an alternate or another alternate can be putting "$:
at the   end of the share which makes it hidden.Actually problem is
not in case of single folder ,like home directories only the real user
or the user which has the right can access it,but the problem is about
the folders which are shared by many.One possible solution is to make
it hidden and map drive for users who have access as suggested by you.

But it seems there is no exact solution for this problem.

> Suppose james is a user having access rights on folders cpms, manager.
>  Now when he clicks on the samba server he sees his home directory
>  where he can put his data, a cpms folder which is shared among the
>  other development team members(have set it with suid) and manager(have
>  set it this also with suid) and all other folders (specified in
>  smb.conf) on which he does not have the rights.He can't access those
>  folders  in which he don't have the rights but i don't want to show
>  the james those folders on which he does not have any kind of right.
>
>  Ideally is should be when james accesses the samba server he should
>  see his home directory,his cpms and manager folder nothing else.So
>  that he should know that he can access and only have access to these
>  folders.
>
>  I tried with u% variable but this variable works for only primary
>  group not for secondary group.I hope that many of u have faced the
>  same problem.
>
>  Please anyone of you can give me solution.
>
>  Thanks in advance .
>
>  Regards
>
>  Ankush
>  --

Thanks for spending your valuable time in reading my problem.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush