[Samba] multiple workgroups from one Samba server?

Matt Easton matthew at sublunar.com
Wed Jul 13 15:50:55 GMT 2005

On Jul 13, 2005, at 2:27 AM, <david-e.hansen at ubs.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thanks for the response. What I'm trying to do is fairly similar to
> this, but not exactly the same thing. I need something like:
>
> On Windows machine ABC:
>
> \\net use X: \\servername\sharename /user:domainname\username
>
> On Windows machine XYZ:
>

> \\net use X: \\servername\sharename /user:otherdomainname\username

Uhm, I hope that using X: in both lines was a typo, you aren't going to
mount different shares on the same letter.

> I.e. I was hoping that the same Samba server, could "service" multiple
> Windows workgroups. I think you've answered my question already, i.e.
> that this is not possible, and we would need a 2nd Samba server to
> service the user accounts on the 2nd windows workgroup. Is this the
> case?

Actually, there have been threads on the samba list about running
multiple workgroups on one server.  You essentially run a second
instance with its own smb.conf file.  Look at the man page for smbd, I
believe the -s option for smbd allows you to specify the smbd file