[Samba] multiple workgroups from one Samba server?

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Wed Jul 13 15:01:17 GMT 2005

david-e.hansen at ubs.com wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thanks for the response. What I'm trying to do is fairly similar to this,
 > but not exactly the same thing. I need something like:
>
> On Windows machine ABC:
>
> \\net use X: \\servername\sharename /user:domainname\username
>
> On Windows machine XYZ:
>
> \\net use X: \\servername\sharename /user:otherdomainname\username
>
> I.e. I was hoping that the same Samba server, could "service" multiple
 > Windows workgroups. I think you've answered my question already, i.e.
 > that this is not possible, and we would need a 2nd Samba server to service
 > the user accounts on the 2nd windows workgroup. Is this the case?

One doesn't need to be in the same workgroup, but one needs to use
the same name & password.  Usually this means the same logon username
and password in the different workgroups/domains or browsing network
neiborhood won't work.

The older win98 allowed a different password but not username.
Win2000 allows the /user:domainname\username as does XP

I hadn't exercised that option, but I just connected from a win2000
in an AD domain A to a samba machine in AD domain B using a different
username.  The format /user:nt.domain.com\user worked but the format
/user:domainworkgroup\user didn't, probably because my machine in
domain A can't resolve netbios names for domain B but DNS is available
to all.

Regards, Doug