[Samba] Samba 3.0.11 on Red Hat RHAS3

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Fri Feb 11 11:01:04 GMT 2005

To answer my own question of a week or so ago, as to whether RHAS3 users
had got 3.0.11 to compile and execute (I had a plethora of errors):

The Red Hat 3.0.11 SRPM from the Samba site compiled cleanly and runs fine
(daemons and utilities) on my RHAS3 test rig, and on a RHAS3 update 4
production NAS server doubling as a Samba 3 server with 1150+ users of
Unix/Linux and soon PDC Windows services.

Jerry Carter has done a magnificent job with the SRPM, thanks a million,
Jerry :) I have no idea why the source code compile should have gone so
haywire, yet the SRPM should perform, they both use the same libraries.

All the users are in an Openldap DB on another server. Having read the
WHATSNEW.txt, I wasn't surprised to find out that I had to set 'ldap user
suffix = ' in smb.conf (they are in different containers directly under
the root suffix). It was set to the ldap suffix in the previous
(3.0.7) version.

Once again, thanks for a magnificent product that should cut down our
Windows (2000) administration appreciably (the Linux administration
(including full e-mail) is already part-time - just about nothing ever
goes wrong ;)

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl