[Samba] Printing permissions problem

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Mon Oct 25 22:52:51 GMT 2004

OK, I just took my first non-root user live on my Samba 3.0.7 system.
Printing is via cups, with drivers stored in the print$ share.  This user is
a local power user.  She can add printers, or root can add them.  Root can
also print from them.  If this user tries to print anything (a test page
even) she gets a non-verbose error that looks like a permissions error.  She
can view the queues and view all the printer properties though.

I have even made her a member of the Print Operators group, to no avail.  I am
at my wits' end!  Relevant sections follow:

[global]
printing = cups
printcap = cups
print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
load printers = yes
include = printers.smb

### printers.smb file in entirety
[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers Share
path = /data/samba/drivers
write list = root
printer admin = root
browseable = no

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /data/samba/spool
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writeable = no
printable = yes
browseable = yes

## Specific printers that need extra permissions
[acct_hp8500]
copy = printers
comment = "Accounting Color Laser Printer"
path = /data/samba/spool/private
public = no
valid users = @acct @acct_admin @hr @receptionist @"Domain Admins"
browseable = yes

[plotter]
copy = printers
comment = "Color Pen Plotter"
public = no
valid users = @engr @truss @"Domain Admins"
browseable = yes

oink:/usr/local/samba/lib # net rpc group members hr
Password:
CORP1\cheri
CORP1\carl

(my user is cheri btw)

oink:/usr/local/samba/lib # lpstat -a
acct_hp8500 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
engr_hp1300 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
PDFcreator accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
plotter accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
truss_hp4 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
truss_hp4050 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
truss_hp5n accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Misty