[Samba] Samba 3 and network printing setup

L. Mark Stone LMStone at RNoME.com
Tue May 18 16:39:53 GMT 2004

On Sunday 16 May 2004 04:30 am, John L Fjellstad wrote:

| What I'm trying to do is set up the Adobe Postscript Windows drivers
| to a Epson printer I have with CUPS and Samba.  I have no problem
| printing through CUPS on the UNIX side, nor printing through Samba on
| the Windows side as long as I manually install the drivers.

John,

The only way I got this to work was to be logged in as root at a Windows
workstation.

Start > Run > \\sambaserver

Open the Printers folder (for the Samba server).  If there is no APW
icon, you have a permissions problem (that could be in many different
places) that needs fixing first.  If you do have an APW icon,
right-click on any white space in the icon container, choose Server
Properties, and follow the prompts to add the printer drivers to the
server.  If the buttons to add drivers are greyed out, you still have a
permissions issue(but you are much closer than if you have no APW
icon!)

John's latest book, Samba3 By Example, has better instructions on this
than TOSHARG; highly recommended (both, actually)!

HTH,
Mark
A Message From...  L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC