[Samba] Samba 3 and network printing setup

John L Fjellstad john-news at fjellstad.org
Sun May 16 08:30:00 GMT 2004

I'm running a Debian Woody system with Samba 3.02 from backports.org.

What I'm trying to do is set up the Adobe Postscript Windows drivers to
a Epson printer I have with CUPS and Samba.  I have no problem printing
through CUPS on the UNIX side, nor printing through Samba on the Windows
side as long as I manually install the drivers.

I want set the system up so that when a new Windows machine comes up on
the network.  I've been able to do this before, but because of a bug
introduced in the newest Windows bugfix, I can't log into the Samba
machine anymore (with User security).

So, I decided to install the drivers on the console (in Linux) using the
Samba HOWTO for printing.

The first step worked fine (putting the drivers on the Samba server).
The second step failed with a WERR_BAD_PASSWORD:
john at legolas:~/tmp/printer$ sudo rpcclient rivendell -U'root%passwd'
rpcclient $> adddriver
Usage: adddriver <Environment> \
        <Long Printer Name>:<Driver File Name>:<Data File Name>:\
        <Config File Name>:<Help File Name>:<Language Monitor Name>:\
        <Default Data Type>:<Comma Separated list of Files> \
        [version]
rpcclient $> adddriver "Windows NT x86" "Epson_Stylus_Color_580:PSCRIPT5.DLL:Epson_Stylus_Color_580.ppd:PS5UI.DLL:PSCRIPT.HLP:NULL:RAW:PSCRIPT.NTF" 5.02
result was WERR_BAD_PASSWORD

A search on Google showed me someone else on the Samba mailing list
having the same problem back in Nov. 2003, but I didn't see any
solutions.  Any one on this list have any idea?

--
John L. Fjellstad