[Samba] Re: winbind and unix/nt login match use unix uid

Alexius Ludeman lex at lexinator.com
Fri Feb 27 18:29:05 GMT 2004

> Hi,
> I'm on solaris 9, and using winbind to be a part of our NT domain.
>
> I'm trying to determine if it's possible to configure winbind/smb so
> that when the nt login name matches the unix login name the share is
> mounted using their unix uid.  With none matching account names,
> username map works fine.  It doesn't appear that "johnsmith =
> johnsmith" works in the username map file.
>
> thanks for any assistance,
> lex

Some additional information here...

I'm running 3.0.2a, this machine also runs nis so the nsswitch.conf is
passwd: files, nis, winbind.  getent passwd shows the uid in numerical
order.  I have no names in the smbpasswd file.  I have tried "use
default domain" which did not have any noticable affect.

I am logged into my nt workstation as the user "Lex".  My unix login
is "aludeman".  I try and mount "\\samba\aludeman".  Now here is the
part that I wasn't expecting; I've temporarily added aludeman to the
nt domain and my usermap says "aludeman = Lex".  I get the following
message.

[2004/02/27 09:24:43, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(305)
check_ntlm_password:  authentication for user
  [Lex] -> [aludeman] -> [DOMAIN+aludeman] succeeded

in the source code is:
  user_info->smb_name.str, user_info->internal_username.str, unix_username

So the behavior that I'm seeing is that it's always taking the NT
domain precedence over the local passwd.  When DOMAIN+aludeman does
not exist then things behave like I would like them where HOMEGAIN+Lex
maps to unix user aludeman uid.

Any assistance is appreciated.

thanks
lex