[Samba] Managing users

samba samba.k.lelong at ace-electronics.be
Thu Dec 9 15:43:11 GMT 2004

Koenraad Lelong wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm struggling to manage users via the Nexus-tool on a Samba PDC. I am
> unable to add users, although I can remove them and add and remove
> groups. When I try to add a user, there is a message 'Procedure number
> out of range' or something like that (I'm translating from Dutch).
> I'm using the smb.conf of Samba by Example, chapter 4, from the CD. I
> did the validation tests descibed in the book, and all is fine.
> I'm using Samba 3.0.9, on Suse 9.0, using the RPM's. Running USRMGR.exe
> on WinME.
> I looked around on the web but I didn't find answers. I put log-level to
> 10 but I can't find any clues, since I don't know what to look for.
> Sniffing the network does not help either.
> Can anyone help me in the right direction ?
> If this is explained somewhere, please apologise, but I didn't find it,
> so any pointers are welcome.
> TIA
Since there is a big silence about this, I was going to skip this test.
I installed a BDC (Win) and was about to vampire my real domain, to try
further steps. But then I tried "Usermanager for Domains" from that
machine. This works perfect. I had "log on" on my real domain before
though : going to My Network, then to the Promises domain, and select
the samba machine, and then select a share. Then you have to provide a
username and password for the Promises domain. If you start Usermanager,
and select the Promises-domain, you can do all you like, it works.
Back again to the WinME-machine. Logged in in the Promises domain, tried
to access some shares, with no problems. Then to Usermanager. There I
had the same problem : impossible to add a user.
Next I'm going to try a Win98 machine. I'll report back.
--
Regards,
Koenraad Lelong