[Samba] ADS Authentication

Tom Skeren tms3 at fsklaw.net
Tue Dec 7 17:31:06 GMT 2004

Christoph Scheeder wrote:

> Hi,
> 2 points:
> 1.) use the smb.conf which gives you a working wbinfo.
> 2.) this sounds like missconfigured pam to me.
>    -you have to tell pam that winbind is "sufficient" for "auth" and
>     "account" with the lines

Here's the /etc/pam.d/logon file info.  This must be working because of
the dual authentication when logging in at the terminal.  In fact if you
open a new terminal sessions and log in there, the primary [F1] screen
will show "pam_winbind[451]: user 'root' granted access".

Further, when attempting to log on with an ADS account, although the log
in fails, pam_winbind grants access.
Here's the file info:

#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/pam.d/login,v 1.16 2003/06/14 12:35:05 des Exp $
#
# PAM configuration for the "login" service
#

# auth
auth            required        pam_nologin.so          no_warn
auth            sufficient      pam_self.so             no_warn
auth            include         system
auth            sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so
# account
account         requisite       pam_securetty.so
account         include         system
account         sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so

# session
session         include         system

# password
password        include         system