[Samba] File Locking problem

Wan Yeok Seng wanys at alphaosc.com.my
Wed Apr 7 17:56:31 GMT 2004

Hi there,

I am facing some file locking problem with samba. Below are the
environment :

OS : Fedora Core 1
Samba version : 3.0.0-15

I have used security = share, oplocks =no, level2 oplocks=no, locking =
yes, strict locking = yes. The detail of the smb.conf can be provided.

The situation is like this :

When I use openoffice (in a windows 2000 server machine) to access the
file in the share first, when I type smbstatus, I am getting a deny
write (readwrite) which is the intended way. If I open the file from
other workstation (nor matter it is windows or linux), the file is being
locked properly.

But if I use openoffice (in a fedora core workstation) to access the
file in the share first, when I type smbstatus, I am getting a deny none
(readwrite) which is not the intended way. If I open the file from other
workstation (nor matter it is windows or linux), I can write into the
file. This post a question on data corruption since multiple access on
the share file that can allow write.

I have done some research on the mailing list which the same question
has been posted by Demchenko Yevheniy on Sep 1. But no solution has been
offered. I have the same question with Demchenko Yevheniy as well, who
is controlling the deny mode (deny write), samba or the application (in
this case OpenOffice)?

Thank you.

Rgds,
Wan