[Samba] wbinfo and usernames with apostrophes - bug?

Tony Whitmore tonywhitmore at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 7 17:43:17 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I've come across this issue today, and I think it might be a bug (or a
feature ;) ). I've been testing Samba 3 on Debian Stable using the Samba
packages from backports.org, which is says is version 3.0.2a.

I've been testing Samba as a storage server in our NT4 Domain and have
been playing with a bash script to set up user directories and
permissions. Samba is set up with winbindd to use the PDC as its
authentication source. For some reason, we have 3 usernames in our
Domain that have apostrophes in them and the "wbinfo" command doesn't
seem to cope with them very well. For example, "wbinfo -u" produces:

<snip>
DJEPSON
DJUDD
DKELLY
DKING
DLongKelly,DMALLETT,DMCKENNA,DMCKENZIE,DoGregory,DOSHEA,DPabari,DSANDHU,DSwain,DTribbeck,DUMMY1,DUMMY3,dummy3ad,DWateridge,DWELLMAN,EBAKEWELL,EBALL,EBALLARD,EBURGE,EBurnett,ECHOUDHURY,ECHRISTENSEN,ECLARKE,ECLOUDER,ECOADY,EDAFIMU,EDAVIES,EDean,EDixon,EDRAP
EDyer
EFRANK
EGIBSON
EGILL
EGladwin
EGOULD
<snip>

Hopefully the behaviour is pretty clear. "DLongKelly" is actually
"DLong'Kelly" and all the other usernames should be reported on separate
lines. This behaviour happens consistently with all three usernames that
have apostrophes in.

As I say, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, so thought I would see
if anyone else has come across this issue. (Obviously, the work around
here is to rename the user accounts, but I thought people might be
interested in this.)

Thanks,

Tony