[Samba] Re: Changing unix group ownership through Samba

Ulrich Kohlhase Ulrich.Kohlhase at t-online.de
Fri Mar 14 04:08:00 GMT 2003

Antti,

> I want to be able to change the unix group ownership on directories
> and files from the Windows 2000/XP clients connecting to Samba. That
> is, if a directory is owned by the unix group unixgroup1 on the
> machine Samba is running on, I want to be able to change it to
> unixgroup2 from the client. What is the simplest way to do this?

You may want to have a look at ACLs, included in recent versions of the
journallimg filesystems XFS, JFS, ext3 and ReiserFS. SuSE and probably
RedHat also (?) should by default have ACL aware kernels. I'd personally
recommend XFS but your mileage may vary.
See
http://acl.bestbits.at/
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs

Good luck,