[Samba] Using printers with SAMBA

Juan lista_correo_linux at yahoo.es
Tue Jun 24 13:48:38 GMT 2003

Hello,
I have a Linux box with 2 printers attached and 1 scanner. One printer connects with LPT1, the other with USB and the scanner is USB also.
I want to share all these within my local network. For that, I installed Samba.
When I start the Linux box, the parallel printer starts to print rubbish. I supposed that was a problem with the printer itself, but I switched on alone without the printer connection and was Ok. The thing starts when starts the Linux. I observed that there is a daemon, lpd, that is started with Linux. I killed it from the command line, but the printer continues to print rubbish.

I tried to share them within the LAN I have. It is composed of the Linux box and 2 Windows machines. The 2 printers are 'seen' by the two Windows machines, but when I install the drivers for them a message appears: "Access denied".

I copy the smb.conf file I have here:

[global]
    encrypt passwords = yes
    workgroup = WORKGROUP

[HPLaserJ]
    printable = yes
    print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r %s
    printer = /dev/lp0
    printing = BSD
    read only = yes
    guest ok = yes

[Stylus740]
    printable = yes
    print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r %s
    printer = /dev/usb/lp0
    printing = BSD
    read only = yes
    guest ok = yes

[test]
    Comment = Testeo de Samba
    path = /hda3
    valid users = juan jose
    read only = no

The printers are HP LaserJet 1100 (parallel) and Epson Stylus Color 740I (USB).
The scanner is an HP ScanJet 2200c (USB).
I have already installed the respective drivers in the Windows machines.
Maybe I have to put a different configuration in smb.conf.
I will wait your answers.

Thanks in advance.

Juan