[Samba] My big problem with samba. Please help me

Tom McKellips tom at cpty.net
Mon Jun 16 00:51:48 GMT 2003

It sounds like you need the betrieve program loaded. If I recall Novell could
do some record locking without btrieve but handle it like btrieve. I run a
DOS database on Samba at a school that was first rn on Novell and had the
same problem when we switched to Samba inserting Btrieve took care of the
problem (Btrieve was actaully wrote by Novell for DOS).

This is what our batch file looks like that starts our records database

btrieve /m:64 /p:4096 /f:40 /t:student.trn /e
stu
bstop

Hope this helps
Tom

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 01:00:02 +0200, Przemys³aw Biernat wrote
> I would like on beginning to apologize for my lousy English,
> practically lack English, I use with translates program. I have with
> samba following problem. What programme in computer shop be used to
> putting out bills, such small base of data of goods they are in
> shop. This programme is under DOS, he be written in language
> Clipper. Base of data of this programme is on server because several
> computers use with her. If server is on Novell it is well. If on
> Samba, then programme on one computer sie starts, however it on
> second hangs. It the man who wrote this programme tells, that then
> the fault of samba. According to him samba does not serve the
> sharing the records of base of data and Novell it serves. Do then
> truth ? If so this or the the newest version of samba serves already
> this or or one it was possible then to walk round ?
>
> I send text in Polish language also, someone can with state it knows
> Polish. I thanks for help. I send greetings from Poland.
>
> Chcia³bym na pocz±tku przeprosiæ za mój kiepski angielski,
> praktycznie brak angielskiego, pos³ugujê siê translatorem. Mam
> nastêpuj±cy problem z samb±. W sklepie komputerowym jest u¿ywany
> program do wystawiania rachunków, taka ma³a baza danych towarów
> jakie znajduj± siê w sklepie. Ten program jest pod DOS, jest
> napisany w jêzyku Clipper. Baza danych tego programu jest na
> serwerze, bo korzysta z niej kilka komputerów. Je¶li serwer jest na
> Novell jest dobrze. Je¶li na Samba, wtedy program na jednym
> komputerze sie uruchamia, natomiast na drugim siê zawiesza. Cz³owiek,
>  który napisa³ ten program mówi, ¿e to wina samby. Wed³ug niego
> samba nie obs³uguje wspó³dzielenia rekordów bazy danych a Novell obs³uguje.
> Czy to prawda ? Je¶li tak to czy najnowsza wersja samby ju¿ to
> obs³uguje lub czy mo¿na to obej¶æ ?
>
> Przesy³am tekst równie¿ w jêzyku polskim, mo¿e kto¶ z pañstwa zna polski.
> Z góry dziêkuje za pomoc.
> Przesy³am pozdrowienia z Polski.
>
> --
> Przemyslaw Biernat (Melwin) Admin of Ogrodowa Network
> melwin at ogrodowa.int.pl   ###    www.ogrodowa.int.pl
> melwin at z.pl              ###    www.ogrodowa.int.pl/melwin
> ICQ:58723474 ### GG:546443 ### Tlen:melwin ### WPKontakt:mmelwin
>
> --

Internet Service Provided By Abyss Communications
Internet Service only $10 a month
1-866-842-2977