[Samba] LAN Browsing shows IP Addresses instead of Computer Names.

Mega Spaz megaspaz2000 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 15 23:49:57 GMT 2003

Thanks for the reply.  lemme go through your points and suggestions one by
one. =)

1. I don't know where Diagnosis.txt is.  whereis and locate come up empty
and I've done a file search in /etc and /usr.

2. Interested in this.  Any good places your recommend for this information?
  That is, easy for a complete nimrod like me?

3. See #2

4. Do I really need to set up a WINS server?  Most of the time the network
is just a windows 98 computer and this Linux computer.  although there maybe
times, since the windows computer is a dual boot windows 98/windows NT 4.0,
that I boot the windows computer into NT.  the Linux computer is also a dual
boot of windows ME/ redhat 7.3.  I think there maybe some kind of conflict,
if I've read things right, between the Linux computer and the other computer
if booted into windows NT.  Any clarification on that would be greatly
appreciated.

5. this is the resolve order from SWAT: lmhost host wins bcast

6. again see #2, if this is what a really have to do. =)

7. I could, but mucking about the router internally gives me the
heebie-jeebies.  And basically, the if all the computers are booted into
windows, the network works fine with the router config as is.  I don't
understand why this would change for Linux.  but, I'm a newbie nimrod with
Linux, so any explainations would be great.

Here's an nmblookup query.  it seems to me that the ipaddress and the
NetBIOS name are returned.

[vjong at Tron vjong]$ nmblookup han
querying han on 192.168.0.255
192.168.0.4 han<00>

Yes, this is one case where I would love to have Linux work like Windows and
I think I'm close since computers that come up on the network are found and
browseable, it's just that their computer names aren't being shown in
Konqueror just the IP addresses.  I'm gonna try to add the computer names in
/etc/lisarc and see if this works.  Thanks again for the suggestions and
help. =)

Sincerely,
Vince