[Samba] I've always HATED printing with Samba

Jim C jcllings at tsunamicomm.net
Tue Jul 22 17:29:27 GMT 2003

>Hey.
>
>By no means an expert, so just guessing. I sympathize with your hatred,
>however :) . I do not have any experience with letting the Linux box worry
>about the driver, so I don't know if I'll be of any help. I've always used
>drivers on the Win side. If this is what you want to do, you may need to use
>"use client driver = yes" in the section where the given printer is shared.

Tried this.  I can get the driver to upload if I use Z52 drivers instead
of Z53.  Supposedly they are 100% compatible on the Linux/Samba side but
I don't know about the differences between client side drivers.  Anyway,
I can successfully add the printer this way but then can't get access to
it.  I show these files in the /var/spool/samba directory but am not
sure if they are print jobs or drivers. Print jobs probably, but then
why don't they print?

[root at enigma samba]# pwd
/var/spool/samba
[root at enigma samba]# ls -l
total 0
-rw-------    1 Administrator adm             0 Jul  5 13:02
smbprn.000007.yJFI1I
-rw-------    1 Administrator adm             0 Jul  5 13:32
smbprn.000008.MBiMF0
-rw-------    1 Administrator adm             0 Jul 21 15:25
smbprn.000009.xhMJBR
-rw-------    1 Administrator adm             0 Jul 21 15:26
smbprn.000013.KYOcyR
-rw-------    1 Administrator adm             0 Jul 21 15:27
smbprn.000017.9fsvVA
[root at enigma samba]#

I did try to do some printing as Administrator to try and get around the
access problem.
This is a Samba LDAP setup BTW but I doubt that this should matter.

>Without this option, I _have_ been able to print from 9X and 2k machines,
>however, under status the Win box will say "Access denied, unable to
>connect". I do not have access to my config files as I am at work, but can
>get them after 3:30pm today if you are still having problems. Something to
>check would be the permissions on the "/var/spool/samba" directory and its
>parent directories. I believe "samba" should be world writeable and the
>sticky bit should be set on it. Parent directories should have execute flag

I believe they already are set:
[root at enigma spool]# ls -l | grep samba
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root          248 Jul 21 15:27 samba/
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root           48 Jul 21 15:36 samba3/
[root at enigma spool]#

Does the "t" represent the sticky bit?
Should I change the create mask?