[Samba] passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

Keith Fernandez keith at theargoncompany.com
Sat Feb 1 22:19:04 GMT 2003

I think it is a samba question,  I did try to use more than 8 characters in
the password and it still gave the same error.
I got this error when I tried to add a new user to the unix system and
change his password. This is ONLY when I used the pam_smbpass option to
samba.
So I think it is a samba question.....
the only workaround is what I had given below.
If you have got the pam_smbpass option to sync unixpassword with smbpassword
for NEW users, Please let me know.
You say smbpassword adds any user present in /etc/password, TRUE... But my
question is why cant I add a unix password to the user which will sync it
with smbpassword the 1st time I create a user..
Once I create my smbpassword and then I change my unix password then it
sync's it with smbpassword and no error, why cant it do it the first time.

Here is my error again using 8 characters in my password .....
---------------------------------------
[root at localhost named]# useradd -g users keith
[root at localhost named]# passwd keith
Changing password for user keith.
New password:
Retype new password:
Failed to find entry for user keith.

passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
NOW IF I HAD DONE THIS
[root at localhost named]# useradd -g users keith
[root at localhost named]# smbpasswd -a keith
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user keith.
Password changed for user keith.
[root at localhost named]# passwd keith
Changing password for user keith.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully

Added this line to my /etc/pam.d/system-auth to get it to work after the
"pam_cracklib.so" line
password required /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok
try_first_pass

Regards,
Keith
--------
"The linuX Files -- The Source is Out There."
--------