[Samba] passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Feb 2 00:00:09 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Keith Fernandez wrote:

Whoa Keith! Nowhere in your first email did you explain that you had
already changed your Linux PAM configuration _AND_ are trying to use
pam_smbpass.so.

The smbpasswd utilitiy only changes the password in /etc/samba/smbpasswd.
It does NOT use PAM at all.

The system tool 'passwd' (/bin/passwd or /usr/bin/passwd) will use PAM.
Whatever you configure PAM to do it will follow.

Firstly, pam_smbpass.so does NOT do unix system password changing! It can
be added to your PAM configuration to update the /etc/samba/smbpasswd
file. If you want to update both /etc/passwd (/etc/shadow) entries as well
as /etc/samba/smbpasswd then the following recommendation is included in
the source code by the author:

#%PAM-1.0
# password-sync
#
# A sample PAM configuration that shows the use of pam_smbpass to make
# sure private/smbpasswd is kept in sync when /etc/passwd (/etc/shadow)
# is changed.  Useful when an expired password might be changed by an
# application (such as ssh).

auth       requisite        pam_nologin.so
auth       required         pam_unix.so
account    required         pam_unix.so
password   requisite        pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   requisite        pam_unix.so shadow md5 use_authtok
try_first_pass
password   required         pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok
try_first_pass
session    required         pam_unix.so

And that is from the documentation in ~samba/source/pam_smbpass/samples.

Your RH8 machine may use pam_pwdb.so, or pam_unix2.so, or similar for
system account password changing.

> I think it is a samba question,  I did try to use more than 8 characters in
> the password and it still gave the same error.

If you do not have the pam_pwdb.so or pam_unix.so module in your PAM
configuration then you have a hosed up PAM.

> I got this error when I tried to add a new user to the unix system and
> change his password. This is ONLY when I used the pam_smbpass option to
> samba.

Wait a moment. You added pam_smbpass.so to PAM - NOT to samba!

> So I think it is a samba question.....

Whatever!

> the only workaround is what I had given below.
> If you have got the pam_smbpass option to sync unixpassword with smbpassword
> for NEW users, Please let me know.

> You say smbpassword adds any user present in /etc/password, TRUE... But my
> question is why cant I add a unix password to the user which will sync it
> with smbpassword the 1st time I create a user..

Explained above.

> Once I create my smbpassword and then I change my unix password then it
> sync's it with smbpassword and no error, why cant it do it the first time.

Fix you PAM configuration.

> Here is my error again using 8 characters in my password .....
> ---------------------------------------
> [root at localhost named]# useradd -g users keith
> [root at localhost named]# passwd keith
> Changing password for user keith.
> New password:
> Retype new password:
> Failed to find entry for user keith.
>
> passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

Right. Did you add the 'debug' or 'audit' options to the pam_smbpass.so
line in your PAM configuration and then check /var/log/messages or
/var/log/security for error messages?

> NOW IF I HAD DONE THIS
> [root at localhost named]# useradd -g users keith
> [root at localhost named]# smbpasswd -a keith
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
> Added user keith.
> Password changed for user keith.

Of course it worked! It just changes /etc/samba/smbpasswd entries.
You added the account (with the -a option), so now pam_smbpass.so can
change the password. The account entry in /etc/samba/smbpasswd has to
exist first.

> [root at localhost named]# passwd keith
> Changing password for user keith.
> New password:
> Retype new password:
> passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully
>
> Added this line to my /etc/pam.d/system-auth to get it to work after the
> "pam_cracklib.so" line
> password required /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok
> try_first_pass

Try:
password required /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok
try_first_pass audit migrate

Cheers,
John T.