[Samba] smbmount on redhat 9

Steve Salazar esalazar at impinj.com
Fri Apr 25 18:40:31 GMT 2003

I use samba in a very limited application to mount smb shares using smbmount.  I have a simple script I use that mounts several shares to a variety of mount points as a specific user on my system.  The script passes username, password, share, mount point, domain information to each call to smbmount.  This script worked perfectly under redhat 8.0 but since upgrading to redhat 9 I have had some problems.

First of all, smbmount processes don't seem to exit properly anymore.  Sometimes after running smbmount the command will not return to the command line.  In all cases, I can to ps aux |grep smb and see that the smbmount process is still running.  If it doesn't return to the command line I can ctrl-c to get the console back.  Surprisingly (to me anyway) ctrl-c or even killing these stray processes does not cause the mounts to stop working right away.  The fact that some calls to smbmount do not return to the command line means that a script like mine which calls smbmount several times in a row will not work.  smbumount is able to unmount these shares without a problem.  Using smbumount causes these stray processes to finally die.

Dispite this problem, connecting to a share always works the first try.  I am always able to connect.  However, after a while if I have kill the stray processes, a share that has not been used for a while will eventually quit working and df shows an IO error.  Mounts that are continuously in use do not fail.  For example I have a mount that contains music and as long as I am playing music, the mount will never fail.

Also, some shares are much more likely to fail than others.  For example, some of the mounts come from Win2k server and some come from another RedHat8.0 box.  The mounts from the Linux shares are mostly well behaved although they have shown this behavior as well.  The Win2k server shares give me the most problems.

Here is an example of one of the lines from my mounts.sh script:

	sudo smbmount //pc-0010/foo /foo -o username=XXXXXX,uid=500,password=XXXXXXX,workgroup=XXXXXXX

I have tried versions of the samba packages from:  RedHat 8.0, RedHat 9, and the samba-2.2.8a-1 rpm for Redhat 8.0 distributed on samba.org.  These all behave exactly the same.  Again, I had absolutely no problems on RedHat 8.0 or RedHat 7.3 so I'm assuming that this is either a problem with some dependency (although I know of none) or with the new glibc and kernel threads issues introduced with RedHat 9.  The kernel version I am running is the updated kernel from redhat 2.4.20-9.

Below is my /var	/log/samba/log.smbmount.  Thanks in advance for any help and please let me know if I need to include any more information.

No error messages appear in the logs:

[2003/04/22 16:00:59, 0] client/smbmount.c:send_fs_socket(383)
  mount.smbfs: entering daemon mode for service \\0010\foo, pid=8813
[2003/04/22 16:01:53, 0] client/smbmount.c:send_fs_socket(383)
  mount.smbfs: entering daemon mode for service \\0010\foo, pid=8876
[2003/04/22 16:02:21, 0] client/smbmount.c:send_fs_socket(383)
  mount.smbfs: entering daemon mode for service \\foo\homes, pid=8883
[2003/04/22 16:02:55, 0] client/smbmount.c:send_fs_socket(383)
  mount.smbfs: entering daemon mode for service \\foo2\tech, pid=8891
[2003/04/22 16:03:12, 0] client/smbmount.c:send_fs_socket(383)
  mount.smbfs: entering daemon mode for service \\foo\designs, pid=8895
[2003/04/22 16:03:23, 0] client/smbmount.c:send_fs_socket(383)
  mount.smbfs: entering daemon mode for service \\foo\CAD, pid=8898

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright orconstitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored.