[Samba] Guest access from Win '98?

Pete Overman poverman at pstnet.us
Fri Apr 25 18:04:21 GMT 2003

Good afternoon;

Was wondering if it is possible to allow "guest" user  to access Samba from a
Windows '98 client.

So far I have not been able to do so, though I can access Samba as guest via Win2K.

Everything I have read so far would indicate that the username/password used to log
into the Win98 box must be added to /etc/passwd and /etc/samba/smbpasswd first.
This does work, however, I have a public directory which  I would like to make accessible
to everyone on my network, many of whom still use Win98.

Obviously, I would prefer not to have to add each Win98 user to my Samba server manually.