[Samba] Access from one box but denied from the other

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Mon Sep 16 17:03:01 GMT 2002

You do not specify "encrypt passwords = yes" in your smb.conf file
so my guess is that your working Machine has had the plaintext
password registry fix added and the other machines have not.

Either change samba to use encrypted passwords (don't forget to add
the passwords with smbpasswd command) or apply the registry fix
to the other machines.

> m31 wrote:
>
> I have samba setup and serving properly to one of my Win2K boxes, I
> can access shares and create/delete/move files from one of my Win2K
> hosts but not the others. I went through a bazillion steps debugging
> to get the first Win2k box connecting so its hard to say what it is
> that the other boxes (or the samba server) isn't doing.
>
> When trying to connect from one of the other Win2K boxes (through
> explorer) I get the message:
> "The account is not authorized to login from this station"
>
> When I try to login from a dos prompt with `net view \\HOST\SHARE` it
> says:
> "Access denied"
>
> Can anyone tell what's wrong here?
> My smb.conf:

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177