[Samba] Automatic Printer Driver Downloading - Does it work?

Jay Ts jay at metran.cx
Wed May 8 15:32:02 GMT 2002

> On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 10:55, Jay Ts wrote:
> > The problem I'm seeing here is while trying to upload a printer
> > driver to the Samba print server using Windows 2000 or XP.
> > The Add Printer Driver Wizard runs ok until I click on the
> > Finish button, then it requires a Windows 2000 Advanced Server
> > CD-ROM to be installed, to get a driver out of the
> > printers\NT4\I386 directory.  Is there any way around this?
>
> Yes, uncheck the boxes for alternate OS printer choices. For example, if
> using a Win2k system to upload Win2k drivers only, uncheck the "NT4
> Win2k" combo selection and check "Win2k" only.

Thanks - that got me a little farther, and I was able to upload
a driver for Windows XP.  But not for Windows 2000, and it looks like
the Samba Team (and/or Microsoft) need to work on this feature before
it's ready for prime time!  Things are misbehaving badly here.

I'm going to put it aside for now (before I start getting blue screens ;)
and go on to other things.

Jay Ts
jayts at iname.com