[Samba] unix/nt-pdc group mapping

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri May 3 10:36:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 05:57, Georg Lutz wrote:
> On 2002-05-02, Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 08:09, Georg Lutz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have problems with a Samba-PDC (2.2.3a) and nt/w2k-clients.
> > >
> > > To adjust local nt/w2k security i have to join some unix-pdc-groups to
> > > the local groups.
> > you need samba 3 for this
>

> So the statement on http://www.samba.org/development.html
> ---
> * Support for acting as a Windows NT 4.0 Domain Controller. The initial
> * release will mostly likely include the following features:
> Release 1:
>
>     * User and group enumeration by domain member services such as
>     * assigning users to NTFS ACLs and share permissions.
>         * Support for the full range of user profile settings such as
> 	* valid logon hours, password expiration, profile location, home
> 	* directory, etc...
>
> ---
>
> is not valid?
i'm not an expert and maybe i misunderstand you question
but I think you are looking for domain groups - which are not listed in
that statement.

You can add domain users, and the two "fake groups"
but finer grained domain groups are not supported.  You can use
unix groups (and ACLs) for permission control on the server just not on
the client.

brad