[Samba] Upgrading from Samba 2.2.1a to 2.2.3a

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Mar 29 03:24:02 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Kevin Bramblett wrote:

> I get the error "file {filename} from install of samba-2.2.3a-20020206
> conflicts with file from package samba-client-2.2.1a-4" where filename is
> various files.
>
> How do I upgrade to 2.2.3a and not have these conflicts?

samba-2.2.3a-20020206 is one rpm that replaces samba, samba-client and
samba-common, at least in RH. The reason for this is just how different
package builders like to do things ...

You can avoid this by getting samba-2.2.3a from the distro you use. I
believe most have an experimental version that uses the latest samba
release (look on your nearest distro ftp mirror in updates, beta, rawhide,
cooker or whatever it may be called).

> I have seen somewhere before that one has to uninstall the previous version
> of Samba (in a certain order) before the new one can be installed.  However,
> I cannot find the commands to do so.  Can someone please help?

man rpm

rpm -e samba samba-client samba-common

If you have made changes to your smb.conf it will be saved.

/Urban