[Samba] Installation

Chris Forsyth skimpydog at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 10 21:08:47 GMT 2002

Andrew Tridgell,
I'm sorry that this is so long, I started, then I stopped. :)

  HEllo, man I've got issues. The main problem that I'm having is that I'm
new to linux. Native to to the Commodre 128, eventually moved to a 386 with
DOS for a while then I got win31, then moved to windows in about '96. Right
now i'm running windows 2000 pro as a server, for web hosting and such, but
man like i said i've got issues running linux... correctly.
Oh i need to say this before continuing, I do not know any REAL programming.
I know HTML, and learning Java, but ya.

Right now i've got mandrake 8.1 with the KDE GUI, on a p166 and it runs ok,
but i'm wanting to do some of the same stuff on it, web hosting and all.
Right now i'm trying to get samba up and running so i can share files
between a windows 2000 pro and the linux box. They are directly connected
through NICs, and the linux box is connected to the internet.

The win2k machine is a web host, I'm using a client from dns2go to route the
ip address through their name server. http://skimpydog.dns2go.com anyways,
i'm going to put the linux box as the server, but until i learn how to use
it.. ya.

I have been to the help pages on mandrake, and i have read a grip load on
UNIX/LINUX but i am still confused, and at that i am currently going through
the mandrake course online on learning it. it's free

Bassically i'm needing some help on how this all works. Setting up samba,
most of it really seems over my head. like by a long shot. I'm actually
pretty good with electronics, and computers, but this is totally different
than anything I have used. I know hardware, and using dos and windows based
applications but linux is way different.

Right now as i write this im learning on how to install samba on the
samba.org website and i say the link and a name for a email so here is an
email. One hell of one.

I think you might see kinda where i'm comming from.?.?.? but ya any insite
would really be appreciated.
i'm trying to figire stuff out on here like: what file is in charge of the
boot, or just how that all works. what do the different directories mean in
the /
I have installed and ran my dns2go client on it, but it can't be accessed
through the internet due to 192.168.x.x IP's but that's ok, i'm learning a
lot since i started linux. I have installed real player extensions for
netscape, and watched some south park that i downloaded. I'm just trying to
learn this.
But the one thing that get's me is that i don't know how to use it really at
all in (i don't even know what to call it, linux base???, kernel? i don't
know). I'm trying to learn this. I'm wanting to get a job in computers, and
i'm wanting to be more marketable. I have been into computers hardcore for
the last 6 years. I built a 386 from scraps. A friends dad helped. :) and i
got a copy of DOS and copied win31 later.
I'm gonna go ahead and stop where i'm at. I'm sorry for typing so much i'm
just having a hard time and i don't know anyone who know's this. Everyone
that i know knows windows, and not that well at that. Well they think that
are good, but i'll leave it at that.

Thanks so much for your time, and God bless.
Chris Forsyth