[Samba] Re: character translations with smbclient (was Share Access)

Paul Bijnens Paul.Bijnens at Lant.com
Tue Mar 5 08:12:23 GMT 2002

Thomas Robinson wrote:

> > > $ becomes oe   ('dollar sign'  becomes 'oe' diphthong)
> > > ½ becomes «   ('1/2'          becomes '<<' double left chevrons)
>
> I upgraded to samba 2.2.3a and that helped. The bad news is that it only
> solved some of the problems. The file link to the floppy backs up now as
> the translation of the link is consistent somehow, but the character
> translation on the $ (dollar sign) and £ (pound sign) is not working
> yet. Admittedly it is translated to something different than when using
> samba 2.2.2, but it still can't be backed up. :(

I just noticed last week that the upgrade to 2.2.3a worked for
all my clients except the Win95 clients (only 2 left :-).
When using 2.2.2 they did not complain, and now they complain
for filenames as "\télécom.doc", with errmsg:
     ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file

Downgrading to 2.2.2 makes Win95 work ok, but fails on Win2K   :-(

You can't win them all.

Something you may have to look at:

What codepage is the client using?
  (type "chcp" in a dos prompt)
What characterset is de Unix server configured to?
  (see the "character set" parameter in smb.conf)

I have mine set to codepage 850 for the clients,
and 'character set = ISO8859-1' in smb.conf.
See the explanation in "man smb.conf" on character sets.

It may be completely unrelated, as I don't know if smbclient
uses these settings at all.

> Am I sufficiently off topic yet to be completely flamed of the amanda
> list? Any one else seen this whilst using amanda?

I'm sure many Amanda users have the problem, but it surely is a
Samba problem. Just try smbclient -T... by hand on a small directory
to experiment:

Amanda uses this command:

smbclient '\\pc\share' -U username -E -W workgroup -d0 -Tqca - | ...

Depending on samba version (2.2.0 - 2.2.2 - 2.2.3a), you get
different errors on filenames with non-USascii characters.

ps.  I'm not on the Samba list, please CC me too.

--
Paul Bijnens, Lant                                 Tel  +32 16 40.51.40
Interleuvenlaan 15 H, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM       Fax  +32 16 40.49.61