[Samba] smbpasswd broken pipe problem on trying to join domain

David Pye david.pye at osm.co.uk
Fri Jul 26 02:16:03 GMT 2002

Hi there..

I'm trying to install samba 2.2.5 from source on solaris 2.5 sparc. It
compiles with no problems, and smbd + nmbd will run, and shares are
accessible. However, when I try to use smbpasswd to join the domain the
following occurs:

smbpasswd -D 5 -j simpsons -r krusty -U administrator%myadminpasswordhere

provides the following debug info:

Initialising global parameters
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
doing parameter workgroup = SIMPSONS
doing parameter server string = Scratchy Test
doing parameter netbios name = scratchy
handle_netbios_name: set global_myname to: SCRATCHY
doing parameter printcap name = /etc/printcap
doing parameter printing = lprng
doing parameter log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
doing parameter max log size = 0
doing parameter security = domain
doing parameter password server = *
doing parameter encrypt passwords = yes
doing parameter smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
doing parameter unix password sync = Yes
doing parameter passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
doing parameter passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
doing parameter pam password change = yes
doing parameter obey pam restrictions = yes
doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
doing parameter dns proxy = no
pm_process() returned Yes
load_client_codepage: loading codepage 850.
load_unicode_map: loading unicode map for codepage 850.
load_unicode_map: loading unicode map for codepage ISO8859-1.
added interface ip=192.168.44.11 bcast=192.168.44.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name krusty<0x20>
getlmhostsent: lmhost entry: 194.168.44.3 krusty
Connecting to 194.168.44.3 at port 445
Broken Pipe

Does anybody have any ideas on the above problem? I joined a linux machine
to the domain with no problems - port 445 on krusty
 is actually closed, and when I look at the debug output on the linux
machine, it fails connecting to 445, and then connects successfully
 to port 139 and joins the domain, but it seems the solaris samba dies of a
broken pipe when the first connection fails, so it never makes a
second attempt.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Regards,

David Pye
*Telephone : (+44) 01344 638000
*email: David.Pye at osm.co.uk