[Samba] advantages of PDC

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Wed Jan 30 05:22:19 GMT 2002

Here goes...

   One major advantage of using samba as a PDC when you only have one
server is that there are no local accounts to set up on the workstations,
and without knowing a username and password you cannot log on to the
workstation.  This is why we use it in-house here.  Security is much
improved from other modes of operation.

   The original concept behind windows domains is that all members of the
domain ask the PDC to validate users.  e.g. when a printer is shared from a
client, it can be configured to only allow people who are logged into the
server to print to it.  or if you have two servers sharing different
resources, you only need to have change passwords on one, rather than each
individually.

Hope this clears things up a bit for you.