smbd memory leak

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Jan 24 06:07:04 GMT 2002

On 16 Jan 2002, Mark Shearar wrote:

> Further to my (as yet unanswered) last 2 requests for help, I can add
> the following:
>
> I tried reconfiguring and recompiling without winbind and it made no
> difference at all.
>
> I've just reinstalled another server for a client (RH7.2, samba 2.2.2
> with smbmount and pam and without winbind and it works perfectly - no
> leaks at all).  My server I've reinstalled 3 times and it consistently
> has the same runaway smbd process. I can kill that process and it just
> restarts under a different PID.  Currently I'm running a cron job every
> night to killall -9 smbd and then reload it again (killall -HUP smbd
> does *not* kill the relevant process and free the memory used, only
> killall -9.)  Obviously this is a nasty hack and it does affect
> performance.

The sugject refers to a memory leak, but this paragraph refers to a
runaway process.  Do you mean runaway memory usage?

Are you running as a PDC?  if so, up the log level and look
for NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER or a similar message.  I fixed a
memory leak relating to domain logons a few weeks ago.  It's in the cvs
tree or I can send you a patch.

chau, jerry