smbd memory leak

Mark Shearar samba at penguin.za.org
Wed Jan 16 07:21:31 GMT 2002

Further to my (as yet unanswered) last 2 requests for help, I can add
the following:

I tried reconfiguring and recompiling without winbind and it made no
difference at all.

I've just reinstalled another server for a client (RH7.2, samba 2.2.2
with smbmount and pam and without winbind and it works perfectly - no
leaks at all).  My server I've reinstalled 3 times and it consistently
has the same runaway smbd process. I can kill that process and it just
restarts under a different PID.  Currently I'm running a cron job every
night to killall -9 smbd and then reload it again (killall -HUP smbd
does *not* kill the relevant process and free the memory used, only
killall -9.)  Obviously this is a nasty hack and it does affect
performance.

Please, if there's anybody out there who can give me some pointers,
please do.  It gets quite despondent after 2 posts being ignored. (1st
one was Dec 22, 2nd one was Jan 13).

Thanks in anticipation
Mark