can't get samba on solaris 8 box to join win2k domain

Devin C Bryant bryantd at ece.pdx.edu
Thu Jan 17 21:33:03 GMT 2002

> > Was the samba machine added as a "Windows NT Workstatsion or server"?
>
> Yes, I noticed that qualification in the HOWTO. I'll doublecheck with the
> Windows guy I've been working with on that, but I'm pretty sure that's how
> he would have done it.

Yes, it was added. one of the peculiarities is that we encountered the
same results with or without the computer added.

As I am a Domain Admin, I also attempted to use the new option providing
the Admin username to add the account, which simply resulted in "Error
connecting to <servername>".

> > Is the PDC Win2k or NT4 and what about the other DC's (relevant to running
> > Win2k in native or mixed mode?)
>
> The PDC is Win2K, as for other DCs, I am again not someone who can answer
> that question.

All domain controllers are Win2k, and the Domain is running in native
mode.

Also worth noting, we still have an active NT4 PDC and an NT4 BDC for our
old domain -- it was a stop gap measure to support clients that hadn't
been updated yet, and what the older samba server authenticated to. It's
worth noting because we have tried joining 2.2.2 to that domain and ran
into the exact same problem again. (so it doesn't /seem/ like a domain
specific problem)
                                                                  _