Large Files

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jan 16 04:13:04 GMT 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Cassandra Lynette Ludwig wrote:

> Basically, I happen to have a bunch of large files that I want to dump
> onto my server which is running Samba (2.2) and Linux (kernel 2.4.17), and
> what I want to do is dump the files off my windows machine onto my linux
> server.

samba 2.2 on a 2.4 kernel with glibc 2.2 supports Large Files should work,
give or take a few bugs.

If you are using a precompiled binary perhaps that wasn't compiled with
support. Try getting a binary for 2.2.2, building the 2.2.2 from source or
even building the CVS version from the SAMBA_2_2 branch.

When building yourself, at the end of the ./configure run it says if it
thinks it can support large files.

> I have read a lot of documentation on this, and I still cannot understand
> why this would not be working, unless there is some filesize limit imposed
> by the samba daemon.

History. File offsets have been 32bits in a lot of linux interfaces (on
32bit platforms anyway). Moving to 64bits has a lot of compatibility
problems and it takes time to move.

Samba is mostly just following what the underlying platform (libc)
supports.

/Urban